Vegan Carrot Cake
My best Low Sugar Vegan Carrot Cake
…. So far
Vegan Carrot Cake: If you’re looking for an easy to make vegan carrot cake with reduced sugar then this has got to be a hit. The recipe uses almond oil for an extra hit of essential omega-3 and a lovely nutty flavor.
I love cake and carrot cake is right up there on the list of favorites. Carrots are such a great source of vitamins and minerals and although cooking leads to some loss, this recipe will still provide some good levels of Vitamin A & K and Potassium. If you can combine healthful ingredients with the loveliness of a comforting cake, that has to be good in my book.
l love cake and carrot cake is right up there on the list of favorites. Carrots are such a great source of vitamins and minerals and although cooking leads to some loss, this recipe will still provide some good levels of Vitamin A & K and Potassium. If you can combine healthful ingredients with the loveliness of a comforting cake, that has to be good in my book.
In this recipe I’ve chosen not to add a frosting as I prefer a plain loaf cake which is sweet enough as it is, or can be drizzled with maple syrup for a little sweet toothed indulgence. You can also turn it into a full on pudding by serving with good old fashioned Birds custard. Did you know that Birds custard is totally plant based and as long as you make it with almond milk or similar then you have a wonderful vegan custard. Its a great way to perk up cake that is a little past its first day of baking, especially if you warm it slightly. Not that it lasts that long in our home.
I’ve used a mix of spelt and buckwheat flour to keep things as natural as possible; the addition of buckwheat gives it a really light texture. I prefer to use almond oil rather than coconut oil as I’m really not a fan of coconut at all. Almond oil is lovely and light, a good source of omega-3 and adds a nutty flavour when used in baking.
Here’s my Vegan Carrot Cake recipe and I hope you’ll make it and enjoy. Please send in pictures if you do, we’d love to hear from you.
Vegan Carrot Cake
- 1 Cup Buckwheat Flour
- 1 1/4 Cups Wholemeal Spelt Flour Doves Farm is a good choice
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 3 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Soft Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Agave Syrup
- 1 Cup Almond Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
- 2 Cups Grated Carrots
- Preheat the oven to 350F or 180C
- Line a loaf tin with one of the paper liners like in my pic or use grease-proof paper. You could also grease and flour the tin.
- Put first group of ingredients into a large bowl or electric mixer with the paddle tool attached and combine thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl whisk together second group of ingredients, then add to the bowl of ingredients from group one. Stir or blend well until you have a thick creamy batter.
- Finally add the carrots [group 3] and there you have it.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and sprinkle with some pumpkin or sunflower seeds for added texture.
- bake in the oven for around 30-40 minutes until a knife or toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to rest least 10 minutes before removing from tin. Wait until cool before eating.